Saturday, January 2, 2010

Its gonna be Nadal vs. Soderling at the Adu Dhabi Exho Finals

Rafael Nadal beat his Davis Cup team mate David Ferrer in straights and Robin Soderling was finally able to put a break against his losing streak to Swiss Former World No. 1, Roger Federer to make it to the finals of The Capitala World Tennis Championship Exhibition in Abu Dhabi.

David Ferrer came in as a late replacement for Jo-Wilfred Tsonga and made most of his opportunity when he overcame ATP World Tour Finals (2009) Champion Nikolay Davydenko in three sets 26, 62, 64. His Davis Cup team mate Rafael Nadal made a god start to his year by beating him in straight sets 76(3), 63 in SFs., to advance to finals.

He'll next play his conquerer at the French Open 2009, Robin Soderling in the finals. Soderling was able to reverse his losing trend to former World no. 1Roger Federer. Soderling had lost to Federer in all of their past 12 matches, but managed to overcome his nemesis in three sets 67(6), 76(1), 62.

After the match, Soderling said:

"I always said the more times I play him, the closer I'll get, and here I am today. So far so good, but it's going to be a long season for sure, hopefully I'll get to play against Roger a few more times. Now when I go out there I feel more confident having beaten all the top guys. I can now believe that I belong up there."

Federer was in all praise for the Swede :

Magnus (Norman), his coach, has been doing a great job with him and I'm sure we will be playing a number of times in the future. It was hard to play him in the very first match of the year, but I had fun.

Federer and Ferrer will now face-off against each other in 3rd / 4th place play-off before the Nadal vs. Soderling finals. Winner of this exhibition tournament will take home a prize of $250,000

No comments:

Post a Comment