Friday, July 29, 2011

Why I Started Writing?

Whenever I meet old friends with whom I have lost touch since long, they all ask me the same question - why did you start writing? or how did you get into writing?


The reason is simple. I come from a teachers' family...and engineering background...I always loved presenting technical stuff in a simpler, easy to understand manner...

In my engg studies, finding a good coursebook was like trying to find a needle in hay sack (what's the hindi proverb for it??)...So i decided to contribute to the field myself...and started with one of my most fav subject...SPCC

I got my first urge to write, "the writer's first instinct" as they say, very early during my 4th semester exam preparations. The subject was DBMS.

I have given DBMS twice before in my life. During my 2nd year of diploma, I failed in DBMS and had to give the KT exam for it.

Ask me why that happened?
Not because I wasn't well prepared for DBMS or anything like that. I was so lazy and lethargic those days that I actually forgot there was a paper on that day.

That remains my biggest blunder till date. I woke up to myself after that. Slowly began rooting out lethargy out of my life and since then, I hate sitting idle. I need to be constantly doing something.

Back to writing books...The reason I did not pursue writing a book for DBMS is, perhaps, my inspiration wasn't that strong..also, I didn't really "feel" the need for a book on DBMS..coz the perfect book was already there...by Keval Veera from Nandu Publishers..

Finally when I sat with SPCC during my 6th sem PL, I knew this was the subject I would be writing my first book on...I said to myself "I won't let this opportunity pass just like that"...

I saw that majority of MU students used Kamal Khan sir's notes for SPCC. Seeing the syllabus of the subject and the theoretical nature of questions I saw in previous years exam papers, I knew there was a HUGE hole in the way Kamal sir taught SPCC.

All he did in his class was flowcharts, which contributed only 20-30% of the paper...He never concentrated on the theory part...I knew this was the flaw I had to correct

So I seized the opportunity...I knew if there were any publishing house that would take a risk with an unqualified writer like me, they were Nandu Publishers..

I had seen their writers before...Hardly any of them were a big professor in a big college, still their authors managed to publish content of great "academic value"...I knew this was it..

I didn't wait for a moment after realizing that..Quickly shot an email to them..they replied asking my academic details (which were fortunately good enough)...they asked me to write a few test chapters..I did that...

Next thing I know,  I was sitting in front of the owner Mr. Narendra Nandu in their Chembur office...holding my copy of the agreement...IT FELT MAGICAL!! :D

See people, achieving dreams is so easy...All you need is THAT moment of inspiration...and the rest will fall in place...

"Woh kehte hain na,
agar kisi cheez ko pure dil se chaaho,
toh saari kaayanat use tumse milaane ki koshish mein lag jaati hai"

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment