Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rahul Dravid retires from ODIs and T20, shows BCCI they can't treat him like a puppet


So,  Rahul "The Wall" Dravid finally felt what we've been feeling since past couple of weeks.

Since last week, I've been seeing this joke being shared on my friends' facebook walls:

"To Mr. Rahul Dravid,
Gauti is taking x-ray, will you open? 
Okay.
Dhoni wants to have rest, will you keep wickets? 
Okay.
Captain banned due to slow over-rate. Will you captain? 
Okay.
Sachin didn't hit 100. Will you hit? 
Okay.
Zaheer has hamstring injury, will you bowl? 
Okay."


Kehne ka matlab ye hai ki,
Rahul Dravid is being seen as a "PUPPET" by BCCI.

But of course, Rahul himself must have not felt that way.

But then came the news - He has retired from ODI and T20.

Why would he say so? especially, when everyone thought this was a "comeback"?

His words say it all. Read this.

At the end of this one-day series, I would like to announce my retirement from one-day and Twenty20 cricket and concentrate only on Test cricket. I am committed, as always to give my best to India in this one-day series and obviously the Test series that follows.
"In the short term I am committed because now I have been picked for the series, but in the long term I think it is best for me and Indian cricket that I focus on Test cricket."
Since I had not been picked for one-day cricket for the last two years, I was obviously a little surprised

And then, he punches the board in the nards.

To be honest, because I had not been picked, I had not informed the selectors or the board of my desire to solely focus on Test cricket.

This means he had virtually already retired from ODIs and T20. Still they called him back just because "the team needs a senior member". It's almost like saying chalo, koi aur nahin toh ye hi sahi.


With this announcement, Rahul has showed the board. You cannot treat me at your own will. I am not your finger puppet.


I love his attitude; finally showing who's the boss.

What do you guys think about his retirement from ODIs and T20? Which innings of him do you remember most vividly? You think India can ever find a replacement of his caliber?

No comments:

Post a Comment